Dear all,How are you all doing? Unbelievable how fast time flies ... you see, it's nearly the end of July, and it seems like yesterday that the long summer hols began, at least for me!
Anyway, I'm back from a lovely weekend up in the north of Spain, to be precise on a delightful holiday spot called Comillas, which most of you probably recognise by its famous university. Actually I hear it's closed for good now, and only a Fundación remains which organises some seminars now and then. Pity!
Hey, I really have to thank those of you who have written some stuff on the blog these days. You can't imagine how overjoyed I am whenever I see a new comment, whether a review on a book or film you've read or seen, or simply to say hello. It makes a hell of a lot of a difference to the look of the blog, doesn't it? It's not just a teacher rambling on about a subject, so all of a sudden the whole thing comes to life.
Talking about films, this morning I was browsing the CNN website, which I hadn't done for quite a long while, when I came across a couple of interesting videos that I'm embedding here related to the same burning issue of piracy, how it seems to be killing the industry, and how the big companies are ruthlessly trying to combat it. Being sort of a modest pirate myself (who isn't today?), I've always been interested in this debate. Is the free home download of films and music a crime that should be harshly persecuted by law on the same scale as the illegal sale on the street blankets (the so-called top manta)?
Whatever your views, perhaps you might like to see this couple of CNN videos on the matter. First, the Harry Potter cast and various actors, directors and producers talk about how hard piracy is affecting the world of movies:
However, the Hollywood industry seems to have come up with a simple way to stop the seemingly unstoppable trend: 3D films, which at least, or so they claim, cannot be camcorded on movie theatres, one of the most common ways of making recently premiered films readily available on the Net in a matter of days, even hours:
Both videos are great listening practice and I'm sure you will understand most of their content. Then you might even be tempted to express your own views on the issue ... on this blog, of course.
By the way, those of you who, unfortunately, have to sit the September exam. Are you doing enough practice of the skills you failed? Do you long for my help or advice? Please do not fail to contact me whatever your needs.
Ok, enough for today. Keep clicking now that you've started to get the hang of it! Cheerio!
Hey guys, how's life?For me it's back to normal after the brief stint in old Cambridge. I'm sorry I couldn't blog last night as promised, but I had the unexpected visit of my bro-in-law, his wife Bea and my nephew Pablo, and they stayed for dinner up until midnight.
Anyway, at the end of my last entry I was wondering if Carmen had given birth to the baby at last, but apparently not. Gosh Carmen, you really must be so eager to do so! But keep it cool, darling, everything will be fine.
Now, I can tell you about my slightly eventful flight back to Madrid. Or rather, what happened after we landed in Barajas at about 21:00. Believe it or not, we were dropped off at the wrong terminal, T2 (domestic flights) instead of T1 (international flights), which is a serious slip on the part of an airline, Air Europa in this case. I realised something was wrong when I saw that we hadn't walked through passport control but were led straight into the baggage reclaim area, where, to cap it all, our flight was not announced on the screens. Not until I went to an information desk nearby did the AirEurope staff become aware of their gross mistake, so we had to wait for over half an hour for a bus to take us back to T1 and follow the normal procedure. Outrageous! You can imagine how annoyed we felt. Meanwhile our suitcases were merrily going round and round the conveyor belt and many of the passengers' relatives were restlessly waiting at the arrivals hall. I thought I would surely miss my 22:00 Autores Express service back to Salamanca and have to take the normal one at 22:30, which meant arriving home nearly an hour later t
han expected. Fortunately I bumped into a familiar face, a former English teacher of my daughter, who had done a course in Canterbury and had flown on the same plane. Her husband was waiting outside so I had a faster (and free) taxi service directly to my house door, ha ha! As the saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining.
But enough travel mishaps. I guess I'd rather tell you about something more cheerful, say, the West End musical I was privileged to enjoy at the Dominion Theatre in London (where else?) and the latest Harry Potter flick I watched in a Cambridge megaplex. Two completely different, visually entertaining experiences, I dare say. I mean, the Queen-based musical We Will Rock You was stunning, it really blew my mind. The stage design was brilliant, the singer actors so talented, and the supporting band nothing short of amazing, sometimes you wondered if it was Queen themselves that were playing together again. On the minus side, the story is a bit far-fetched at times, which, like in all musicals, is understandable if you think how difficult it must be to adapt Queen's discography to a single storyline. But who cares, WWRY reminded me how fabulous Freddie - how sorely he's missed! - Brian, Roger and John once were. Memories came flooding back with every song I heard. And you should have see the grand finale, everyone standing from their seats singing along Bohemian Rhapsody. Out of this world!Was Harry Potter as memorable? Well, frankly ... no. I mean, it was kind of disappointing after all the media hype. Alright, the cinematography is accomplished, the story has got interesting moments and
the cast do their jobs well, but the ending left me cold. And you cannot help feeling it's more of the same old story. Too much wizardry for me, thank you very much. However, it will surely please Harry Potter's die-hard fans. And if this latest instalment wasn't enough one more film from the final book is announced ... and split into 2 parts!Tell you what, some of the scenes were shot in various locations of Oxford's most spectacular College, Christ Church, which I visited myself during a day trip in the renowned university. As I walked around the cloisters and quadrangles it was easy to see why.
Christ Church's Great Hall was replicated in the film studios to create Hogwart's Hall (which looks bigger than the real thing, to be honest with you) . I'd like to show you the photos I took at the college hall myself, but they're stored in my portable and I'm writing this stuff on my desktop. Sorry!
Wow, this is a huge entry, isn't it? I hope I'm not being a pain in the ass! Whatever. Seen the HP film? Would you like to give your own personal review? C'mon, don't be lazy! This blog needs you ALL, and now. By the way, Ana, Marina, Laura, thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate them.
That's all for now, guys. Sweet dreams.
July 14th



Hello folks!
Well, I cannot see much “activity” on our blog, but here I go again with some more reflections from
Life swiftly goes on here at
We have a hectic timetable down here: there’s the scheduled tutorials with Ian and Lindsay (great chaps!), the workshops, the cultural talks, the plenary talks, you name it! But relatively very little time for social life before 7:30 p.m. Well, there’s the coffee break, lunch and dinner, of course, when you meet new people every day.
On Tuesday we had this guided tour of the city by a charming blue-badge guide called Ian (like one of my tutors). I spotted his lovely distinctive Scottish accent right away and asked him where he hailed from. “

Anyway, we were so lucky to stay dry during the tour as there were downpours right before and after it. We visited the must-see buildings: Queen’s and King’s College, Trinity, the Senate House, some of the oldest churches, and a couple of pubs (see photo of my toast to your helath!) … Ian told us how cruel the university authorities are, since the students, after three, four hard years working their asses off, only know if they have eventually graduated by reading heir names (or not) displayed on the notice boards outside the Senate. Over the years he’s seen may young hopefuls crying their eyes out outside this building.
Yesterday we saw a film in the Auditorium titled The Freedom Writers, starring Hillary Swank. It was OK, the story of an idealistic teacher who has to do her job at a High School which is a hotbed of violence. Her performance is remarkable, but I don’t think the script would win an Oscar for originality. Besides, I’ve never been that fond of these “teacher-saves-students” stories. However, it seems the flick stirred some of the girls deeply as many of left the room in tears …
Well, what lies ahead? Day trips to Ely and Oxford, some theatre in London (I’m in two minds about seeing either a play at Shakespeare’s renowned The Globe or a musical in the West End – perhaps Queen-based We Will Rock You?), even Harry Potter’s latest film’s premiere here in Cambridge. Sounds great, doesn’t it?
As you can see, there’s plenty of excitement to come, but I don’t want to make you envious, so I better close now. Listen guys, I really need some feedback, so I beg you please to write something, won’t you?
I wish you could be here with me. Tell you what: On Saturday I’m going to meet for lunch the group manager at
Besos y abrazos
Jose Luis
How’s life back in
Well, what can I say? I have just been here for barely a day but boy, am I enjoying the course! The venue is awesome, the staff are very friendly and both my tutors and classmates are a great bunch. Only trouble is that I’m the only male teacher and there are 14 other girls from different nationalities: 4 Spanish, 5 Polish, one Austrian, one Portuguese, one Bulgarian, one Vietnamese, so I’m spoiled for choice! This is definitely a female job, since only a fifth of the teachers must be men, if not less! At least one of the tutors, Ian, is a man too … but when Lindsay comes in, it feels like I’m in a harem!
Anway, it’s being good fun so far. I even had time yesterday evening for a couple of pints of real ale. Who could ask for more! The food is, well, typically British, if you know what I mean, and so is my room. A double tap and a 19th-century shower in the bathroom and windows covered with lace curtains, so at
Unfortunately no full English breakfast (globalization is to blame for such a disgraceful loss!), that’s something I really miss. And we’re only given a single towel (God only knows when they’ll change it!) and three coat hangers, you know, the English can be really weird …
As for my fellow country people, there are groups from Castilla y Leon, of course, but also from
Well, how’s things in
I’m just realising tomorrow is San Fermin and I won’t be able to see the penning of the bulls as I usually do on the TV screen, because by the time they start running I’ll be in class. No big deal, VIVA SAN FERMIN!
OK, I’m rather exhausted ny now so I’m going to bed in a minute. But before I close, if you want to have a look at the first photos I’ve taken and get a rough idea of the place I’m staying, click on the following link:
Besos y abrazos
Jose Luis
I don't know how my class-mates feel, but I feel really envy!
ResponderEliminarAbout Shakespeare or Queen.. Queen, of course! How can you doubt it?
I feel my English is worse and worse.. In fact it's really rusty, but I had to answer your comments, because it's really nice from you to think of us.
By the way, I'll be in Cambridge in 2010, of course (if you can organise it)
Enjoy your time there.. and don't eat fish and chips every day,ok?
See you soon.
I have just read your experience in Cambridge, Jose Luis, and now,... so many regards invade my mind... (because I went to Cambridge 2 years ago, in July too) in fact, I was studying in EC School, do U know it?, it is in city center.
ResponderEliminarAnd, have U visited Ely? I t is a small town, maybe a village, near Cambridge, but it has a very beautiful cathedral (which I recomend U to visit)
Now I'm quite near from U, in Plymouth, working as I told you, and I'm completely delighted, kids are charming (any problem with them),stuff from school is perfect, they have everything under control and town is quite nice, in spite of the weather (but anyway..this is England isn't it?
Hope everyone else is having a great summer (and sunnier than me)
Laura
Great! I love to see another comment! Laura, it's wonderful to read about you!.. I envy you both a lot!!!.
ResponderEliminarOf course I think it's a fantastic idea to try another text book, specially because if its author is alive, we can complain if we don't like the book, do we? ha,ha.
Seriously, I'll be in class next year, so I prefer to start from the beginning with new things.. and new method, in spite of having to pay again, :-)
What about Carmen? Are you there? toc,toc.. I'm looking forward to hear from you and your son.
Nice summer for all of you!
Hi!oh,I envy Laura and Jose Luis too!=)I speak with her a lot, and she tells me that it´s a fantastic experience!
ResponderEliminarHow are you? I´m in Salamanca on July, like a little hobbit in the shire, but on August I ´m going to spend a week on the beach, =)
Meanwhile I watch a lot of films, and in original version. Now,I´m watching Irina Palm, and it´s quite surrealistic. I read Speak Up too, altough it´s a pity its price!18 euros!Thank godness I can borrow it in the library.
In addition, in summer I read quite enough, because during the course I don´t have time. I recommend you "El corazón heldo" by Almudena Grandes. It has almost one thousand pages, but from my point of view, it is one of the best books that I´ve ever read. Now I´m reading Sherlock Holmes, and it´s quite funny!!xD
I´ll try to comment frecuently, I promise.
I wonder too, what about Carmen?=)
Marina
Ok, Regarding to Carmen, she feels well, but at this moment her little baby doesn't want to see our planet, ha,ha.. but she said that we'll have news as soon as her baby opens his eyes (or more or less :-) )
ResponderEliminarAbout books.. you have to read "A thousand splendid suns" by the same author of "Cometas en el cielo". It's incredible, marvelous.. perfect!!!
I hope to keep in touch with all of you.. and of course in September will have a "casetas tour", ok?
Happy summer!
I really envy your time in England, and, of course I would like to have been at the musical Queen, but not Harry Potter; I can't figure why these books are so popular. It's tru that I tried to read one in English, and I have to admit that I coyldn't, but even in Spanish I don't like it at all.
ResponderEliminarAnyway, my life is not so spectacular, but all in all I do sme things when I can: last weekend I was in "la warner" with my kids and friends, it was great, but it was really hot.
Yesterday at 23.00h I went with a friend to watch "Millenium I" (Los hombres que no amaban a las mujeres". I read the book, in fact the three of them and I love Stieg Larson. The movie was really good, but like always, the book is better. I recommend you to watch it.
Ok, if my incredible events permit me,(ha,ha) I'll try to write to you in another moment.
I have been warned of writing something about Millenium I, the movie, and here it is:
ResponderEliminarI usually don’t watch a movie after reading its book, but this time I have done it, and I don’t regret having doing it. The characters are the same I had created in my mind, and the story line is absolutely well –driven.
In my opinion it’s a really good thriller . Its main attraction is its characters: Mikael Blomkvist, a well-known, controversial but honest journalist, and Lisbeth Salander, an antisocial but really intelligent 24 year- old hacker; they both weave the plot.
Lisbeth Salander is a sociopath who doesn’t work like a normal person. She doesn’t even have the slightest consideration about what is good or bad.
As well as they both, there are many characters really well –drown, both in the book and the movie.
For me, it’s the new thriller of XXI Century: it hasn’t been sold to Hollywood and it has a slightly nuance of independent films.
Hi again after almost a month disappeared, sorry.
ResponderEliminarAre all of you ok? I think so.
When I was reading your last entry José Luis I couldn´t avoid thoughts like oh my god all travels are the same, always appear problems in one or other sense, our marvellous technical staff generate drawbacks but then nobody knows nothing haha at least was during the travel to come back which is less stressful.
About Harry Potter…I have no words, I want to watch it at the cinema and if I do it I´ll write my particular review, although I read the books the expectation with the film is the same, maybe too much two films for the last book… but more money for the author etc. Anyway last week I saw “Pagafantas”, ok, I know it´s not in English but I laughed my head off haha obviously I recommend it.
Everybody wants to meet Carmen´s baby, me too!!! Why he doesn´t?
We´ll be in touch, kisses
Sofía
Hi again!
ResponderEliminarIt´s curious, because now I´m reading Millenium I! At this moment, it´s quite interesting, and it is only the introduction!=)
About Harry Potter...I don´t have a lot of expectation with the film...however I think that the film is acceptable,altough it is quite superficial...Jose Luis you are hughly(hehe) exigent!Oh...Pagafantas!I dont´t watch it, but I think that everyone has a little pagafantas inside...
I practice my listening, writing The Beatles´ songs, and it seems easy but...there are some expressions...
By the way, I wrote an useful website, qqc or something like that, but now I don´t find it!do you remember it?It is helpful, especially for the listening, because there are videos and the transcriptions...
Kisses!
Marina
Ok, Marina, I think you're speaking about Yappr, aren't you?
ResponderEliminarIt's pretty interesting, and you can watch a lot of videos, interviews and so on (with transcription in English and translation in Spanish). I receive an e-mail with new videos more or less every week. Ok, I'm not sure, but I think this is the page that José Luis spoke about.
Muac!