domingo, 6 de septiembre de 2009

September 09


September 22nd

Well, this is kind of a special entry. You see, while awaiting the signing of the group's certificate, which officially brings the academic year to an end, from this midday on, right after the exam revision, you are not my students any longer, so you have - at long last - got rid of me. That is, unless you didn't sit or pass the September exam and have decided to enrol in my class again this next year, which I know some of you have done - because you're not masochistic enough! No seriously, I'll be delighted to see you around once again. But those of you who made the grade or for whatever reason quit studies at the school, can now breathe a sigh of relief. No annoying mail to open, no lengthy articles to read or that damn blog to flick through, you might be thinking.

You know, not many of you came to see your exam this morning, barely a few actually, but still it was mixed blessings, so to speak. It was great to see Carmen, her baby and her husband - who apparently will be in my class next year - because she eventually passed the Reading Comp task that had left unfinished in June and can now devote 100% to the baby (gorgeous!) without worrying about English lessons. But then some of you - I won't say the names - came to revise the exam and tell me that you will give it another try this next year, and a couple of you guys said goodbye, or rather so long. I couldn't help feeling sad because it was kind of an unhappy ending for you two. I just hope that I didn't cause you too much trouble (if so, forgive me) and the fact that you didn't get a thumbs up won't hinder your interest in the language. I would like to believe that, however much or little you improved your skills this last year, at least my natural enthusiasm has instilled in you a desire to keep learning this universal language which I love called English. And of course this should also be true for those of you who, fortunately, got the precious pass. Remember my words: LANGUAGE LEARNING IS FOR LIFE.

I just want to end up saying that it's been a pleasure to have met you and got to know you a little better in and out of the classroom. We have shared some lovely moments together, haven't we, and I really appreciate your patience and effort. To those of you who won't be around this year, good luck and farewell, hasta siempre! I'll think of you whenever I glance at my watch, dear pets. Needless to say, it will be great to hear from you if you dare write an email now and then and surely you can still read this blog if you feel like it. And indeed you are welcome to contact me if I can be of any help.
Last but not least, to the faitfhful few, well, see you next week (lessons begin on Thursday 1st). Hopefully you won't get tired of me very quickly ...

HERE'S TO HEALTH AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL!


September 20th

Hello everyone! Well, what can I say? At long last, after six unsuccessful attempts, justice has been done to our sport. Seventh time lucky: SPAIN ARE EUROPE'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!
Mind-blowing play, total, almost insulting supremacy by a great, commited bunch of talented players. You cannot imagine to what extent I've enjoyed (and so have my wife and kids) every single minute of the final, because there are people who watch the sport, but there are others like me who FEEL the sport. After a faltering start (I admit I sort of blew their chances to win the tournament) Spain have little by little reached an awesome level and played like a real TEAM, both offensively and, above all, deffensively. Just because the road has been tortuous, this gold medal tastes even sweeter, so my sincere congrats to Gasol (a true MVP as a player and as a person), Rudy, Navarro and Co., to all the basketball family and the sport's fans across Spain. Hooray Spain!


September 11th

Hello guys! How are you enjoying the Salamanca festivals? I'm sure you're having good fun, aren't you?
Well, I can't agree more with Ana that our visit to Las Casetas was absolutely wOnderful. We had the chance to meet, yet briefly, little Roberto and then go for a few tapas all around the casetas area. The atmosphere is very animated, mind you, it can become a bit packed at times, and I love having a small beer and a pintxo in good company. Sadly, there weren't many of you, and Fatima and Elena left early. But on the plus side we met this two former students of Ana at Don Quijote, Loren and Anthony, both from England. Such lovely people, but regrettably they speak very good Spanish so you didn't seize the opportunity to practice English with them. Well, I hear Almu is exchanging conversation with Loren at the moment, and apparently Marta will do the same shortly. Way to go, girls!
After a few drinks and bites we ended our night having a nice cup of coffee and a chat near San Marcos Church. By the way, some of you were talking about next year and how you don't mind putting up with me one more time, which is kind of flattering. I reckon you're a bit masochistic, are you? Ha ha, only joking, I'll be delighted to be with you guys, if that's what you wish. I told you I had to confirm the dates of enrolment for 2 Avanzado so take this down: you need to collect the sobre de matricula on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th (preferably the first day as early in the morning as you can if you want to secure a spot in my class).
Ok. Eight years on, today we commemorate the events of 9/11 in NY. Such a tragic landmark in modern history. So many innocent lives lost, I can still remember the shocking images of planes crashing against the Twin Towers. I could hardly believe my eyes, it all looked like a horror movie ... And 8 years later you can now and then hear theories of a possible conspiracy by the US government, in the sense that they didn't do enough to prevent the massacre. Outrageous, don't you think?
Anyway, I'd like to pay a modest personal tribute on our blog by inserting a couple of songs. The first one is performed by my son's favourite band, Dream Theater, who hail from NY themselves. It's called Sacrificed Sons and it was written in memory of those who died on such a fateful day. As you will hear it begins with some sound bites of the tragedy. A moving song indeed.



The second tune is by a better-known act, Irish supergroup U2, and you can still hear it on radio stations and TV channels when journalists reminisce about the tragedy. It was originally written to support a Burmese activist whose name I can never remember (I haven't got the time look it up right now!) who, about 20 years ago, was sentenced to house arrest for protesting her government. I'm sure some of you have heard the case. Whatever, it's a great song which deals with injustice and encourages her to WALK ON (the song's title) so it serves my purpose right. I do love the part where Bono sings:

And if the darkness is to keep us apart
and if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
and if your glass heart should crack
and for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong
Walk on, walk on

OK folks, I have to close now. Have a good day and keep blogging, won't you?



September 6th

Hi there! I have been a bit slack about my blog of late, but I guess my inspiration wasn't that good. Mind you, neither was yours apparently, I don't remember when or who wrote the last comment, apart from Almu's great PP presentation, that is.
You see, it's been quite a long while since I last inserted some music onto the blog. And I think I came across a little something while listening to BBC Radio 2 this morning, as I usually do nearly every day. They were playing bits and pieces, from the stale and tacky kings-of-the-falsetto Bee Gees to the freshly split Oasis when I heard the familiar tune which triggered lots of memories. One of the bands I was absolutely hooked on in my late teens. I adored their powerful music, their often meaningful lyrics, even their nutty videoclips. And when I heard the first chords of The Police's Walking on the Moon, one of my favourite songs ever by the great threesome, I thought right away: Wow, I'd love to insert that song. Moreover, let me tell you that my brand new Mac needed some fitting speakers, so last week I had bought a sleek 2.1 system, and boy, did the song's rhythmic section sound brilliant in it! Listen, if you're thinking of changing that old pair of tiny dull loudspeakers, I can recommend going to MediaMarkt (where else!) and buying the Altec Lansing (a prestigious brand name) NV2421. There's nothing like them for barely 40 euros: Two efficient tweeter satellites and a powerful subwoofer. You can trust my word!
Anyway, coincidentially we're celebrating the 40th anniversary of man's first walk on the moon, so the song kind of comes handy, doesn't it? Truth be told, the lyrics are not particularly relevant, actually I tend to think they're rather humorous and have nothing to do with space travel. But it's the music that I love, with that splendid piece of drumming by Stewart, the piercing bass by Sting and Andy's ever so professional guitar playing. So down below you can find the goear.com player and the 1979 videoclip courtesy of DailyMotion this time (gosh, 30 years on and it seems like yesterday!), which was recorded in Houston's NASA space centre, mixing images of the young trio and some original footage of the '69 American mission. Hope you like both!










Now, talking about other things, how's September going? Has it been hard to get back to normal, so to speak? Personally, life at school has been pretty good to me, as I haven't had to work that hard just yet. Only a few Basico exams and a bit of red tape at secretaria. What about you? I'm specially concerned about those who have to do the September exams, I wonder how much you've been practicing English all through the summer ...
Hey guys, I'm really looking forward to meeting as many of you on Wednesday, but it doesn't seem an easy task, hopefully Carmen won't be too busy, so keep your fingers crossed!
Well, I must close now, as it's dinner time. Why don't you send some more feedback on this blog - and soon? Cheerio!

3 comentarios:

  1. Hi guys!
    Yesterday we had our meeting in las casetas and it was wanderful, absolutely great. We were nine people and two of my English students.
    We could meet Carmen and her little Roberto. He's so cute!He's quiet and sweet, and Carmen is thin again, ha,ha.
    It's true, last nigth was fantastic, and we would have wanted you to be with us. I hope we have another oportunity to have a beer or a coke :-)
    Have luck with your exam!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi people!
    You sound like you had a really good time together at the casetas! glad you enjoyed! i dont really like the " casetas " so much! I think its an excellent idea though, the city its way more animated and packed with new people! i like that!
    Anyway, answering to the second part of jose's post, the 11S', i wanted to recomend you to watch WALL TRADE CENTRE , the movie has like 6-7 years, but its awesome, i really liked it, its those movies which make you think about how dead people familiar's are.. really sad, but i absolutely recommend it..!
    Good luck tomorrow with the tests! i will see you guys there!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. oK, TEACHER, AS YOU KNOW i'M ONE OF YOUR PETS WHO WILL BE IN YOUR CLASS NEXT YEAR (IN FACT IN FEW DAYS).
    i WOULD LIKE TO SAY GOOD BYE TO ALL OF OUR CLASSMATES, AND OF COURSE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ALL OF YOU, OR AT LEAST SOME OF YOU THAT ALWAYS USED TO BE IN OUR PARTIES :-)
    i THINK WE HAD A REALLY NICE CLASS, WITH PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT AGES, BUT THE ATMOSPHERE WAS REALLY GREAT.
    ANYWAY, I HOPE WE HAVE SOME OPPORTUNITIES FOR A BEER... OR TWO.
    KISSES

    ResponderEliminar